Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Audition Log 2/8/11 - The First One

I've always been told that after every audition you should write down everything you can remember about it, as a guide for future auditions (e.g. Were the lights a problem? The space a benefit? What clothes did you wear and how did that help/hinder your audition). Well, what better place to log my collective audition journey than here? So, after every audition, I'll post what happened, how it went, and how I felt. Names (may) be changed to protect the innocent.


As I write this, "Linus and Lucy" by Vince Guaraldi is playing in the background. How suitable, because that is exactly how I feel after my first EVER audition in New York!

It went so well! So much fun, and the company was so nice. Stars seemed to align.

Here's the step-by-step of how it went (it may get long; my apologies).


THE MORNING

I woke up at 6:30 am after a mere four/five hours of sleep. I prepared the night before (printing headshots, packing my dance clothes, double-checking my music). It was sort of unwise to try it all that night, seeing as how I didn't get home from work until 9, but sometimes things like that happen. In the future, Jimmy, prepare earlier.

I tried to take a shower, but apparently the water doesn't get hot until....I dunno, 9 or 10. I left my house at 8, hoping that it would warm up before then so I could get a quick shower in. Sadly, no go. I even had to pour hot water from the teapot into a bowl so I could shave. It was not a pretty sight. In the future, Jimmy, shower the night before. And shave regularly.


THE SUBWAY

Of course, the day I wanted to get somewhere relatively early was the day my metro card expired. I missed one subway while refilling but made another. I had plenty of time, but it was still funny nonetheless.


THE PRE-AUDITION

I made it all the way down to W. 54th St. easy enough and found the building, which is just a building full of offices. No fancy on-the-stage audition like in A Chorus Line, which I know is the standard now but is still a little sad. Actors can have "audition dreams," too.

When I got in, there was a sign that stated: "Casting Calls: the line forms outside. Building doesn't open until 8:30." I checked my watch. 8:30, on the dot. Uh oh, I thought, there's a line!? I knew it was going to be big, but...but...oh my, how many people will be in front of me?

Six. Six people were in front of me.

I took the elevator up to the 11th floor, found the studio space, and meandered into this dance room with chairs lined up on either side. I figured this was the holding area, and felt rewarded when I found out I was correct. There was a table to the side with two pieces of lined paper taped to it. One said, "UNOFFICIAL HAIRSPRAY SIGN UP - MALE" and the other said the same thing but for women. Ooo! I thought, my first unofficial sign-up sheet. Here's to many more! I signed up and got dressed.

The dance call was first, so I went into the "Men's Dressing Room" and changed. I put quotations marks around "Men's Dressing Room" because it wasn't; it was a supply closet. A small one, at that. No lock, too. But I made due and changed.

The breakdown asked everyone to wear clothes that would show off your body. So, I'm thinking tight fitting, non-baggy or tapered-out. So I choose a tight, white shirt and jazz pants: and old standard. In hindsight, I did not need to wear this. The choreography was such that I could have worn track pants and been fine (some men did). It didn't impede my dancing, but I did feel a little foolish.

I finished dressing and came back into the waiting room. It was 8:40; I had an hour and twenty minutes before the audition began. I felt that was fine, because it gave me a chance to really warm up (I had not danced for a few weeks and was feeling it).

For a dance call, I thought I would have to compete for space to warm up, but there was hardly anyone doing so. In fact, no one was! They were all sitting in the chairs, waiting or texting. I found this odd, but thought maybe they were waiting to warm up later. Whatever floats their boat is fine, but I needed to warm up now. They can catch up when they want to.

But they never did. As more and more men came in (it was strictly a dance call/singing audition for men; women were later in the day), more and more sat. I was a bit flabbergasted. Some people did small stretches here and there, but I was going full out. I know no other way. I felt some eyes on me, (probably) imagined some snickers in my direction, and put on my headphones to diffuse the tiny vampire bomb going off inside me. It worked. I put on slow, soothing music to calm my nerves and drown out any naysayers. Who cares if they make fun of me for stretching? I'm gonna rock this audition.


THE DANCE AUDITION

At around 9:45 a man by the name of Chris introduced himself as the "production coordinator" (I actually forgot his title, and I feel terrible for it. Always remember everyone's name and their job position). He handed us a form to fill out and a brand-new *OFFICIAL* sign-in sheet. Everyone obeyed the unofficial sheet we had originally made, which was a refreshing sight to see. It's cool to hear about it, but to see it first hand. It's a small thing, but in this realm of competition it's nice to see camaraderie and respect.

We left our bags behind (really? Okay...) and followed Chris into another studio, which was roughly the same size as the holding room, maybe a little bigger but not by much. It had mirrors on one side, windows on the other, with fluorescent lights adorning the ceiling. A piano rested in the corner. Pretty standard dance room. Well, save for the piano.

We met the choreographer and his associate, who was the only woman a part of the production team. We also met the music director and the producer of the whole company. Though quiet, the latter two were warm and pleasant.

Not to say that the first two were mean-spirited. Quite the contrary! Unlike what I thought my first NY audition would be, the choreographer was open and kind. He didn't care so much about the technique but about the performance, saying that Hairspray is more about singing than dancing (Oh no! Make it more about dancing!). He joked around with us, citing a jump I had done as "Populism" (from Bloody, Bloody Andrew Jackson), and tried to help everyone really nail the combination, including two men who were very late.

The combination itself wasn't very hard. A quick combo of 8 8-counts, it featured booty shaking, turns, kicks, and ponies (oh, the ponies!). I don't know how long it took us to learn it exactly, but it felt quick. We then performed it a couple of times without music, then with music, then we went to the sides and put us into small groups.

I was in the third group. Funny enough, I had been placed with my peanut gallery (the boys who I thought were snickering at me, but were probably laughing at some youtube video). We faced the mirror (how nice of the choreographer!) and the associate danced in front of us. After a few moves, she stepped off to the side. She didn't need to help; we were doing good. I don't know if you know, but rocking out to high-energy dance moves? It's kinda my thing. So let me reiterate: I'm gonna rock this audition.

After everyone went once, we did it again but in bigger groups. I was in the second group this time. The first time I was downstage, the second upstage. Both times I was stage left, in you will. Neither times did I have a lapse of memory, though I did flub once or twice when I was waiting on the side.

They then thanked us all, and we went back to the holding area.

After a moment, Chris came back and said they wanted to hear us all sing.

Okay. I'm gonna have to sing. Just breathe...



Part 2 of this Audition Log, including the "Singing Audition" will come up tonight or tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment