Friday, February 25, 2011

Audition Log 2/14/11 - Life Upon the Wicked Ship (Part 2)


It's been ten days since last I updated. Though I've written a lot of it down, this means that my memory may be foggy on certain details. Which defeats the purpose of writing an audition log, and is a lesson that we all have learned. And by all of us, I mean me.


THE AUDITION

The room we were led into was medium sized-room, relatively smaller than previous audition spaces (oh, what specific measurements do I weave!). Fluorescent lighting, mirrors on one side, barres on the other, table against the mirrors, piano in the corner; very much like a regular rehearsal/audition/dance studio.

In the room were 5 people total. The first one who introduced herself was a woman captaining the whole process, Sherie Zunker. She worked extensively with Fosse and Ann Reiking and is now in charge of a bunch of entertainment shows and productions for Royal Caribbean (I believe...I could be wrong...I hate not remembering exactly!).

She then introduced the other people in the room: Duncan Stewart, casting director of all Chicago productions (including Broadway and the West End); Ben Bryant, music director; Katie Hurrey, assistant choreographer; Billy Sharp, vocal director/assistant vocal director (don't ask me how); and Christopher, one of the production coordinators who was working the cd player.

After Sherie introduced them all, explained how today was going to work, and what they were looking for (specific, athletic types for both Chicago and another production on the ship, entitled Blue Planet), she gave the reins over to the asst. choreographer, who then taught us the combination that would ultimately decide our fate (dun dun DUN!).

The combo was nothing at all like Chicago. It was definitely designed to A) audition for their other show, and B) weed people out. Very languid, very lucid, and full of turns and layouts, the combinations did just that.

She took her time to teach so that everyone had it by time's end. Then we lined up in two rows and went across the floor with it (this is the second time I've auditioned for Royal Caribbean, once in LA, and they've both were ballet-esque and started with an across the floor combo). I was the second group and was behind my partner. We danced to a Latin-infused pop ballad, which I believe threw me off kilter in my mind (seeing as how we were auditioning for something grittier). I was a little hazy on the combo though I didn't forget entirely, but because I was so worried about remembering the combo I didn't act it. They wanted acting with their musical theatre dance. What a concept, I know!

We went across the floor once. After everyone had gone, the table conferred amongst themselves while we were in the room. Afterwards, they called 4 or 5 names. I wasn't one of them.


A few things are of note here. For one, in an non-union open call, I don't need to get there so early. They're going to see me. I also didn't need to go directly to the table to pick up a number. Because I did, I was #4, which meant that, while other auditioners had some extra time in line to go over the dance, I had to know it. Timeliness was the death of me in this situation.

Secondly, while I like to suggest roles and types through my clothing during auditions, I'm not a big advocate of flat out dressing up. I tend to feel it's...needy (Look at me! Look at me!). But at the audition I saw a woman in a black bra, black panties, and full-body fishnets with make-up to match who got a callback. Of course, she was a terrific dancer, but in this instance the costume helped. Or, at least it didn't hurt.

Lastly, I don't know if cruise lines or Chicago are right for me at this moment. I'm a small, young-looking guy, and they tend to look for bigger, stronger types. Men to frame the women well. I've even been thinking that maybe chorus calls aren't for me right now (a topic we'll get into later). So, I don't know if I should be too hard on myself for not getting called back. They couldn't mentally typed me out the moment I got in. Doesn't excuse me from giving my best, but just a thought.

One more lastly, no matter what I met a lot of great people, including the casting director of ALL of the Chicago productions. Steps, steps, steps.

Now, onto the Wicked audition...

Part 3 of "Life Upon the Wicked Ship" will be posted shortly. I swear.


No comments:

Post a Comment